We have developed the tools, trainings, and resources to assist you in guiding youth and young adults on their journey to the natural resource sector.
Download our job-seeker manual, “A How-To Guide for Pursuing a Career in Natural Resources” in both English and Spanish for free, any time.
This guide is the passport to entry-level natural resource career opportunities. In it, you will find in-depth information about:
- How to navigate USA Jobs, the federal hiring portal.
- How to find and apply for state and local government jobs.
- Where to find jobs.
- Where you can get a certificate or degree in Colorado in a natural resource field.
- Case studies that show all the different pathways to a successful career.
- In-depth overviews of common careers.
- Opportunities beyond field-based and science-based careers.
With the help of our initiative partners, CYCA and CAEE have designed a training program that orients job-seekers in a meaningful, tactile way to our guide.
Our direct trainings to job-seekers were so successful that we designed a “Train-the-Trainer” program to empower Career Influencers to facilitate them whenever they are needed.
Attendees to our “Train-the-Trainer” sessions receive lesson plans, printed copies of our job-seeker guide, access to digital resources, and assistance creating their Training Action Plan.
For Career Influencers who work with a slightly younger, teenage audience, we have also developed a completely self-paced online training that focuses on raising awareness about natural resource and green careers. It uses our new sister website, greenpathways.org, and similar to the “Train-the-Trainer” for the Career Guide, it provides activity templates, handouts, and more to support educators.
See the Upcoming Events below for our next training opportunities. If you aren’t able to join us for one of these, be sure to check out this 1-hour webinar on Supporting Youth in Pursuing a Natural Resource Career.
One attendee of a “train-the-trainer” workshop stated, “I shared my copy of the guidebook with a student who was feeling overwhelmed and discouraged about her career change. She was much more exited and enthusiastic after reading through the book!”
Our next train-the-trainer event will be on Wednesday, August 30 in Durango. Through this training participants will:
- Get to know the “How-To Guide for Pursuing a Career in Natural Resources” and brand new greenpathways.org website – and how to use them in programs.
- Participate in activities that can be used to engage teens and young adults in natural resource career exploration.
- Plan future training opportunities for teen and young adult audiences using the tools provided.
Stay tuned for more information and to register.
Here you can find our upcoming events! We hold Train-the-Trainer sessions annually to provide Career Influencers with successful strategies to mentor young adults toward their first job.
We also host statewide summits to identify the next challenges to be addressed, share best practices, and chart the path forward for the Careers in Natural Resources Initiative.
SELF-PACED, ONLINE TRAININGS
We currently offer an “Engaging Teens in Exploring Green Careers” online course three times a year – spring, summer and fall.
This course is for PreK-12 teachers, camp and scout leaders, zoo & park staff, naturalists, after-school program staff, natural resource professionals, and anyone who works with high school age youth. Through this course, participants will explore a variety of strategies, tools, and resources to integrate career exploration into programming and help teens on their path to an environmental career.
Please visit caee.org/programs/learn/pd/eeCourses for more information and upcoming registration dates.
- Download a sample activity from our Trainer Toolkit. Attend a train-the-trainer workshop to receive access to the full kit!
- Download supplemental handouts to the “How-To Guide” including the ‘Top Ten Tips’ fact sheet and ‘Stepping Stones to a Career in Natural Resources’.
- USA JOBS – Federal Government Hiring Portal
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife Jobs Page
- Sign-up for Colorado Parks & Wildlife Job Notifications
- Colorado State Forest Service Employment Page
- Colorado State University employment page
Join our community to learn about upcoming events and webinars, new resources and the latest information on natural resource careers.